Educator Login

Follow us...  
Twitter Flickr You Tube Logo facebook

Highest Ranking Graduate - FAQ

This sections answers questions pertaining to the Highest Ranking Graduate (Honor Graduate Certificate) award.

  1. Our valedictorian is not the highest ranking graduate of their senior class because a student transferred in and has a higher GPA.  Can we give the certificate to the valedictorian instead since that student has been at our high school all four years?
  2. You need to follow your district's guidelines for determining the highest ranking graduate. The law clearly states that the award should be given to the highest ranking graduate.

  3. Our highest ranking graduate is going to college out of state, and therefore won't be able to benefit from this certificate.  Can we instead give it to the next student in line who will be going to a Texas public institution of higher education
  4. No, the certificate should be awarded only to the highest ranking graduate. Keep in mind that it is possible that the highest ranking graduate, who chooses to go out of state, may want to come back to Texas after their first semester.

  5. We have an exact tie for the highest ranking graduate.  Can we issue more than one certificate?
  6. You can allow for a tie between two students; however, in no circumstances should more than two certificates be issued.

  7. My son/daughter is the valedictorian, but not the highest ranking graduate.  How do the schools determine who is the highest ranking graduate?
  8. School districts set their own policy on how class rank is determined. It is a local decision and not each school district will have the same policy on how they determine class rank. If parents are concerned or want to know more about how their child is ranked, they need to contact the local school district and ask about their policy. The Texas Education Agency has absolutely no say in the matter of how districts determine class rankings.

  9. How do I find a list of schools eligible for the highest ranking graduate award?
  10. All public schools, charter schools accredited by TEA, and private schools accredited by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission provide one honor graduate per graduating class.

  11. How do I obtain the funds for tuition?  Who provides the funds for the tuition?
  12. The institution of higher education you attend waives the tuition fee; therefore, you are not provided any direct funds.

  13. Does the award cover books, supplies, room and board, meal plans, etc.?
  14. The award only covers the cost of tuition. Tuition does not cover books, supplies, room and board, meal plans or personal expenses.

Texas Education Agency
Federal & State Education Policy

Page last modified on 4/25/2014 08:23:34 AM.