The State Board for Educator Certification was created by the Texas Legislature in 1995 to recognize public school educators as professionals and grant educators the authority to govern the standards of their profession. The Board oversees all aspects of the preparation, certification and standards of conduct of public school educators.
Ensure the highest level of educator preparation to promote student achievement and to ensure the safety and welfare of Texas school children.
- We believe well-prepared educators are essential.
- We believe high certification standards measured by rigorous and reliable assessments are essential.
- We believe student success is primary, and we must ensure the safety and welfare of Texas school children.
- We believe flexible and accessible certification programs, held to the same standards of accountability, are essential.
- We believe stakeholder input is essential, and we are accountable to all Texas stakeholders.
- We believe educators must be held to high standards of ethical conduct.
- We believe we must continually improve our policies and processes in response to changing needs.
- We believe we must ensure consistency and effectiveness among educator preparation programs.
The Board will:
- Seek the tools and resources to ensure the education, safety, and welfare of Texas school children.
- Monitor and improve the quality and effectiveness of educator preparation programs.
- Improve the effectiveness and the efficiency of business operations by expanding the use of technology.