Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
The Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is one of three programs available to Texas teachers. Here you will find information specifically related to the Federal program on this page. If you are not eligible for the Federal program please review the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance and the Public Service loan Forgiveness Program.
Eligible Schools List - follow the directions located above the search box.
- In order for your school to be listed on the Federal low income directory your school must be an eligible Title I school serving 30% or more students with Title I funding; the Economically disadvantaged status of a school does not ensure eligibility in this program
- If you are having difficulty finding your school, please look up how the school is listed in the State database on ASKTed.
Lets, get started, Follow these steps!
- Read the Eligibility Requirements - TG provides live chat if you need addtional guidance, live chat (external link)
- Fill out an application if you are eligible - Application Process
- If you are NOT eligible try the other two programs
- Have the Chief Administrative officer sign your application - this is the current Superintendent, Principal, Assistant Principal, Human Resources Personnel or Director, or other equivalent at the district you are/were employed by
- look up your school - PRINT school name exactly as it appears in the directory in ASKTed (instructions located above search box)
Mail application to your Guarantor - (TIP - make photocopies for yourself, keep date and address of when and where you mailed your application)
- To find out who your Guarantor is
- call your lender or
- contact TG at (800) 845-6267 or
- look up your information using the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) - Your ED pin is required
Your Guarantor will make a determination of your eligibility within 45 days of receipt of the application.
- If you are approved for loan forgiveness, you will notified of this approval and payment (for the forgiveness amount for which you qualify) will be sent to your loan holder.
- If you do not qualify for loan forgiveness, you will be notified of the denial explaining why you do not qualify
Free Brochures for Schools - Informational brochures about the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
Page last modified on 9/18/2014 11:52:41 AM.