As a result of being awarded a federal Striving Readers Comprehensive Literacy grant award by the USDE, TEA has issued the Texas Literacy Initiative Request for Applications (RFA). The purpose of this RFA was to solicit grant applications from eligible applicants to implement programs that create partnerships between school districts and their associated early childhood education (ECE) providers to improve school readiness and success in the areas of language and literacy for disadvantaged students by implementing the Texas State Literacy Plan (TSLP).
Texas School Ready! is a high quality early childhood model, based on proven school readiness components including:
- High quality, developmentally appropriate and rigorous curriculum;
- Continuous student progress monitoring;
- Professional development for teachers, including mentoring; and
- Creating and implementing a School Readiness Integration Partnership to coordinate services among school districts, child care providers, and Head Start programs.
The program is administered by the Children's Learning Institute at the UT Heath Science Center at Houston. For detailed information about the grant program, including award lists and complete guidelines, requirements and resources, go to Texas School Ready!
Authorization: 83rd Texas Legislative Session, General Appropriations Act (GAA), Article III, Rider 48 and Article VII (TWC) Rider 28
- Early Childhood Education Partnership Project (ECEPP)
- Kindergarten Readiness System (KRS)
- Prekindergarten Early Start Grant (PKES)
- School Readiness Integration (SRI) specialist
Department of Federal and State Education Policy
Howard Morrison, email@example.com