Note: These do not trigger the Public Information Act (PIA)
Media Community may request readily available public information.
General Assistance and Inquiry
Tips for Making a Public Information Request Public Information Act Made Easy to Understand and FAQ
We ask that your request be specific and include date ranges, if possible. We will work with you to clarify and narrow your request so that we can locate the records you are seeking. Be clear and concise.
Rights of Requestors and Agency Responsibilities under the Public Information Act | Ley de Información Pública
Online Request Form sends your request directly to the designated PIR Email Address.
Mailing Address Physical Location
Public Information Office W.B. Travis Building
Texas Education Agency 2nd Floor
1701 N. Congress Avenue 1701 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701 Austin, TX 78701
E-mail Phone Number Fax Number
email@example.com 512-463-9734 512-463-9838
For complaints regarding failure to release public information please contact your local County or District Attorney at Travis County District Attorney, 314 W. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701, 512-473-9400.
You may also contact the Office of the Attorney General, Open Records Hotline, at 512-478-6736 or toll-free at 1-877-673-6839.
For complaints regarding overcharges, please contact the Office of the Attorney General at 512-475-2497 or toll-free at 1-888-672-6787.
If you need special accommodation pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our Public Information Office at 512-463-9342.
Some of our records contain confidential information and cannot be disclosed. Some examples are listed below:
- Information that may identify a student (unless you have a right of access)
- Social Security Numbers of a living person
- Credit reports, access codes, account numbers
- Personal e-mail addresses of members of the public
- Certain financial or medical information
- Home addresses, phone numbers, and family member information of government employees
- Certain trade secret or proprietary information submitted by companies
Other information that may not be released include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Privileged attorney-client communications
- Information relating to pending or anticipated litigation, audits, and investigations
- Inter-agency communications consisting of advice, opinion, or recommendations on policy-making matters of the agency
Student Records. Consent Form for receiving student information (FERPA) Word
What kinds of student course information does TEA maintain?
• TEA does not have student diplomas
• TEA does not have student transcripts
• TEA does not have summer school or correspondence course attendance information
• TEA has confirmation of Texas high school graduation
• TEA has student course information for Grades 9-12 and only for regular fall and spring semesters
• TEA has a list of Texas high school courses student attended for regular fall and spring semesters
NOTE: Only student information from 1990-1991 to the present is available.