To further promote local initiative, the 1995 revision of the Texas Education Code established a new type of public school, known as a charter school. Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools with the idea of ensuring fiscal and academic accountability without undue regulation of instructional methods or pedagogical innovation. Like school districts, charter schools are monitored and accredited under the statewide testing and accountability system.
According to the Texas Education Code, the purposes of charter schools are to:
- improve student learning;
- increase the choice of learning opportunities within the public school system;
- create professional opportunities that will attract new teachers to the public school system;
- establish a new form of accountability for public schools; and
- encourage different and innovative learning methods.
- The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) needed to become a reader for the charter school open-enrollment applications is now available. Clicking on Package 1 will take you to the RFQ document. Deadline for submissions is FRIDAY, MAY 24, 2013 - 2:00 P.M., Central Time. For additional information, please visit the Subchapter D page.
- The 2013 Charter School Orientation will be provided this year via a web-based format. Please continue to check this page for an announcement regarding the availability of the modules.
- Submitted applications for Generations 4 through Generation 17 have been posted to this website.
- Be advised that the process for establishing a nonprofit entity is completed directly with the Internal Revenue Service and is a lengthy process. The estimated time may be as long as 18 months. A 501(c)(3) determination letter must be submitted with the application in order for the application to be found complete.
The links below provide information and resources for charter school personnel, parents, and students, as well as potential charter applicants and the general public.
TEA Charter School Contact Info:
Texas Education Agency
Charter School Administration
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701
Phone (512) 463-9575
Fax (512) 463-9732
For questions regarding this webpage, please contact the Charter School Administration Unit at (512) 463-9575.
Page last modified on 5/14/2013 08:57:55 AM.