A charter school is a type of public school. The Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of charter schools in 1995. Some of the first charters have been in operation since the fall of 1996.
There are four types of charters in Texas. They include:
- Subchapter B Home-Rule Charters - There are no home-rule charters in Texas.
- Subchapter C Campus or District Charters - Independent school districts authorize and oversee these charters.
- Subchapter D or Open-Enrollment Charters - Most charters in Texas fall in this category. The commissioner authorizes these charters. Before the legislative session in 2013, the State Board of Education (SBOE) was the authorizer.
- Subchapter E University Charters - The commissioner authorizes Subchapter E charters. Eligible entities include public colleges and universities.
Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools. The reduced legislation encourages more innovation and flexibility. State law does require fiscal and academic accountability from charter schools. The state monitors and accredits charter schools the same as school districts.
Important information and upcoming events include:
- Performance Framework: Organizational Framework - TEA is seeking to engage the Texas charter school community in the development of a performance framework. The tentative date for the next working group meeting is September 26, 2014.
- The charter school orientation is available via a web-based format. The modules are available on the Orientation page.
Resources for Parents and Students
The following links provide information for past, current, and prospective charter school students and their parents:
Resources for Charter School Personnel
The links below include information and guidance for current charter school administration and staff:
Resources for Charter School Applicants
The following links include charter applications and other information for prospective charter school operators:
The links below include more helpful information about charters:
Charter School Administration
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 463-9575
Fax: (512) 463-9732
Page last modified on 7/29/2014 11:07:06 AM.