TAKS Revised Information Booklets
Student Assessment Home | Assessment A–Z Directory | Contact Student Assessment | Printing PDFs
The Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) information booklets were developed to provide a better understanding of TAKS and its connection to the statewide curriculum, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). These booklets are not intended to replace the teaching of the TEKS curriculum, provide the basis for the isolated teaching of skills in the form of narrow test preparation, or serve as the single information source about every aspect of the TAKS program. However, we believe that the booklets provide helpful explanations as well as show enough sample items, reading and writing selections, and prompts to give educators a good sense of the assessment.
Note that unlike the previous information booklets, each grade within a subject area is now presented as a separate booklet. However, it is still important that teachers review the information booklets for the grades both above and below the grade they teach. For example, eighth grade reading teachers who review the seventh grade booklet as well as the ninth grade booklet are able to develop a broader perspective of the TAKS reading assessment than if they study only the eighth grade booklet.
The information booklets for each subject area contain some information unique to that subject. However, all booklets include the following information, which we consider critical for every subject-area TAKS test:
- an overview of the subject within the context of TAKS
- a blueprint of the test-the number of items under each objective and the number of items on the test as a whole
- information that clarifies how to read the TEKS
- the reasons each objective and its TEKS student expectations are critical to student learning and success
- the objectives and TEKS student expectations that are included on TAKS
- additional information about each objective that helps educators understand how it is assessed on TAKS
- sample items that show some of the ways objectives are assessed
When printing mathematics and science sample items, please make sure that your Print Menu is set to print the pages at 100%. This ensures that items requiring the use of the ruler will measure accurately.
*Eligible Science TEKS for TAKS (PDF)
For additional information, contact:
Student Assessment Division
Page last modified on 8/15/2011 04:22:52 PM.