The Algebra Readiness Initiative provides materials, diagnostics, professional development and grant opportunities to prepare Texas students to be algebra ready. Components of the initiative include:
- Texas Response to Curriculum Focal Points (TxRCFP) document (grades K-8): Based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), the TxRCFP document identifies critical areas for mathematics instruction at each grade level.
- MSTAR Universal Screener (5-8): Providing a screening tool for students in grades 5-8 which will allow teachers to target and assess specific Curriculum Focal Points.
Professional Development Opportunities:
- Middle-School Students in Texas: Algebra Ready (MSTAR): An Introduction (5-8)
- Elementary Students in Texas: Algebra Ready (ESTAR): An Introduction (K-5)
- MSTAR: Geometric Approach to Algebra Readiness (6-8)
- MSTAR, ESTAR and MSTAR Geometric Approach to Algebra Readiness professional development series focuses on addressing the needs of all learners through response-to-intervention (RtI) strategies that focus on integrating the TEKS and creating quality Tier 1 lessons.
- MSTAR Academy: Foundations for Grades (5-6)
- MSTAR Academy: Foundations for Grades (7-8)
- MSTAR Academies provide content-based professional development focusing on the how and what to teach to engage students in concepts and content.
- Algebra I End-of-Course professional development (Summer 2010)
- Geometry End-of-Course professional development (Summer 2011)
- Algebra II End-of-Course professional development (Summer 2011)
- End-of Course professional development series provide content-based professional development to high school teachers.
|MSTAR Development (TxRCFP & Professional Development) (5-8) || $899,975|
|ESTAR Professional Development (K-5)||$220,000|
|Algebra Readiness Grants (6-8)||$48,187,000|
|Technology Based Supplemental Instruction in Math (2-5)||$3,000,000|
|Technology Based Supplemental Instruction in Math (5-8)|| $3,000,000|
|MSTAR Math Academies (5-8)||$20,200,000|
|Mathematics end-of-course professional development (9-12)|| $4,500,000|
|MSTAR Geometric Approach to Algebra Readiness (6-8)||$303,238|
|MSTAR Universal Screener (5-8)||$3,400,000|
- General Appropriations Act, Article III, Rider 53, 2007
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act, Title II, Part B
- General Appropriations Act, Article III, Rider 42, 2009