September 23, 2013
TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED
Subject: 2013-2014 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is required by Texas Education Code (TEC), §12.119(b) and 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC), §100.101 to collect information each year about charter schools board members and school officers. The 2013-2014 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools will be used to gather the required information and must be submitted to the Division of Charter School Administration no later than Friday, November 1, 2013. Failure to completely and accurately submit the required information by the deadline may impact future requests for charter amendments and renewals. Additionally, this deadline must be met in order to ensure that your school information will be updated in the upcoming release of the Texas School Directory.
Please note that the Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools must be submitted electronically through the Charter School Tracking System (CSTS). The CSTS application is only available through the Texas Education Agency Login (TEAL), which will replace the Texas Education Agency Secure Environment (TEASE).
TEAL provides more flexible secure access to TEA applications. Eventually, all TEA applications will use TEAL. Information about applying for a TEAL account, and answers to questions about both of the TEA's secure environments, can be found at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index4.aspx?id=2147505323. This letter is your notification that you may now apply for access to CSTS, if you have not already done so, and that CSTS is open for you to enter and submit your governance information.
You must have a TEAL account to gain access to CSTS. Once you have a TEAL account, you will be able to request access to CSTS. Each charter school is required to establish two individual CSTS accounts: one account for the Charter Data Entry User role to enter the required information; and one account for the Charter Approver role for the superintendent to approve and submit the forms to the TEA. Please note that the attached instructions provided with this letter include a list of all of the information that the Charter Data Entry User must have for entering the governance information into CSTS.
In addition, be aware that, upon submission of the required automated forms, the Charter Approver (i.e. superintendent) must certify to the TEA that:
- All governing board members and school officers submitting forms have signed and dated corresponding paper copies of their forms;
- Signed and dated forms are maintained in the state of Texas, on-site at the charter school or the charter district office, as required by 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §100.1203(a)(3), for a minimum of five years;
- Signed and dated forms will be made available immediately to any TEA employee or agent of the TEA who, during a visit, requests to view them on-site, and/or signed forms will be sent to the TEA for review within three business days upon request by TEA staff;
- All current fingerprinting and criminal record checks are available for all employees, including contract employees and volunteers who indicated in writing their intention to serve, in compliance with Texas Education Code (TEC) §§12.1059, 22.0832-22.0835; and
- In compliance with TEC §12.120, no individual, including any board member, is serving in any capacity if he or she has been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude; a felony; an offense listed in TEC §37.007(a); or an offense listed in Article 62.001(5) Code of Criminal Procedures, unless the individual is eligible to be employed in a position in a school district under TEC §12.120(a-1).
In order to ensure that each annual submission of charter holder board member information submitted to the TEA matches the information currently registered with the Secretary of State (SOS), and to ensure that this information reflects the correct current composition of the charter holder board, please review the management information on file with the SOS. You can locate this information by entering the SOSDirect website at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml, creating an account, clicking on the heading labeled Business Organizations, entering the charter holder name under Find Entity, and reviewing the names under the section titled Management.
TEC §12.119(a) also requires that a charter file with the commissioner of education a copy of its articles of incorporation and bylaws, or comparable documents, if the charter holder does not have articles of incorporation or bylaws on file. If current copies of the articles of incorporation and/or the bylaws are already on file with the Division of Charter School Administration, a copy of any amendments or changes must be submitted.
Should you have questions pertaining to the 2013-2014 Annual Governance Reporting Form for Open-Enrollment Charter Schools, please contact me by phone at (512) 463-9575, ext. 3 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathryn Jones, Program Specialist
Division of Charter School Administration