The State Board of Education (SBOE) sets policies and standards for Texas public schools. The primary responsibilities of the SBOE include:
- Setting curriculum standards
- Reviewing and adopting instructional materials
- Establishing graduation requirements
- Overseeing the Texas Permanent School Fund
- Appoint board members to military reservation and special school districts
The board is made up of SBOE members elected from single-member districts. The governor appoints one member to chair the board, the current SBOE officers are Chair Barbara Cargill, Vice Chair Thomas Ratliff, and Secretary Mavis B. Knight.
The SBOE is required to meet at least quarterly. Meetings are held in the William B. Travis State Office Building, which houses the Texas Education Agency, at 1701 North Congress Ave. in Austin. Each meeting, except for executive sessions restricted by law to specific topics, is open to the public. Anyone who wants to testify in front of the board must submit a public testimony registration form.
The September 2014 official agenda is available.
Remaining 2014 SBOE Meeting Date
2015 SBOE Meeting Dates
- Feb. 11-13, 2015
- April 15-17, 2015
- July 15-17, 2015
- Sept. 9-11, 2015
- Nov. 18-20, 2015
The TEA provides meeting webcasts for people interested in watching from a computer or device. Archived webcasts are also available. If you experience technical difficulties with a webcast, call (866)-226-6627.
SBOE operating rules
This includes rules that define how the SBOE conducts and takes public comments and testimony at board meetings.
Registration form for public testimony
Everyone who wants to testify at an SBOE meeting must submit a registration form by 5 p.m. Monday before the meeting.
This includes the archived SBOE meeting minutes for the past year.
Archived schedules and agendas
This includes the archived SBOE meeting schedules and agendas for the past year.
Summary of actions
This includes highlights of actions taken by the State Board of Education (SBOE) over the past year.
Although policy decisions must be made by the full board, much of the detailed preliminary work is completed in committee sessions usually held on the Wednesday or Thursday preceding each SBOE meeting. There are three primary SBOE committees and one Ad Hoc Committee:
- Committee on Instruction - has primary responsibility for issues dealing with curriculum and instruction, student testing, special education programs, and alternatives to social promotion.
- Committee on School Finance/Permanent School Fund - has primary responsibility for the preliminary work on issues dealing with the Permanent School Fund and school finance.
- Committee on School Initiatives - deals with issues such as appointing board members to military reservation and special school districts and rules proposed by the State Board of Educator Certification.
- Ad Hoc Committee on CSCOPE - appointed to review CSCOPE content. This committee was created to address concerns raised by parents and educators about CSCOPE; however, Neither the SBOE nor the TEA were involved in the development of this curriculum management system.
Email the State Board of Education about revisions to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills curriculum standards at email@example.com. Contact the State Board of Education about general issues at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open records requests involving the State Board of Education should be emailed to email@example.com; or faxed to (512) 463-9838.