TEA News Releases Online
Oct. 27, 2009
Texas elementary, secondary Teacher of the Year
to be announced Friday
AUSTIN – With great anticipation, the announcement of the state’s top elementary and secondary teacher will take place Friday at a special ceremony and luncheon at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center in Austin.
Six outstanding Texas educators were selected as finalists for Teacher of the Year in August. Now, those six teachers along with the 33 regional Teachers of the Year eagerly await the announcement of the Texas 2010 Elementary and Secondary Teacher of the Year on Oct. 30.
The elementary school finalists are:
• Maricela Alarcón, a fifth-grade teacher at Burke Elementary School in the Northside Independent School District (ISD) in San Antonio;
• Donna Patrick, a sixth-grade math and language arts teacher at Southern Hills Elementary School in Wichita Falls ISD; and
• Virginia Solis-Cera, a fifth-grade teacher at J.L. Sambrano Elementary in San Elizario ISD.
The secondary education finalists are:
• David Bolster, a seventh-grade science teacher at Bernard Harris Jr. Middle School in North East ISD in San Antonio;
• Keeley Lowery, a biology teacher at Carroll High School in Carroll ISD; and
• Yushica T. Walker, a sixth-grade science teacher at Morehead Middle School in El Paso ISD.
“These six exceptional teachers serve as an inspiration to their students, their colleagues and aspiring teachers across the state. No matter who takes home the ultimate prize, each of them are clearly winners,” Commissioner of Education Robert Scott said. “I extend my sincere appreciation to the six finalists, as well as the regional Teachers of the Year and congratulate them all on a job well done.”
The top two teachers will receive a $5,000 cash prize, a technology package valued at more than $16,500, a laptop computer, trophy and other mementos. Each of the regional winners will receive a $500 check and a trophy. One of the top winners selected will go forward to be considered for National Teacher of the Year honors.
The luncheon and ceremony will take place in Salon C of the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center located at 1900 Martin Luther King Blvd. The luncheon will begin at 11:30 a.m. and the recognition program begins at noon, concluding with the announcement of the two top teachers of the year.